At Iowa Crisis Chat, we want to be there for you when you are in crisis, but currently we don't have the resources to be available 24/7 and often times there is a wait to speak with a counselor. We're working hard to increase our capacity, but when we are not available, when you need resources more specific to what you're going through or you need services that Iowa Crisis Chat doesn't offer, here are some options we've found to be helpful.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911
If you are suicidal or otherwise in crisis
If you are suicidal or otherwise in crisis and need to speak with someone immediately, contact any of these free, confidential crisis counseling services where you can talk about whatever's on your mind in a in a safe, non-judgmental environment:
- Call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Lifeline is a 24-hour hotline that consists of a large network of centers so that you can reach a crisis counselor right away.
- Call The Crisis Center of Johnson County, Iowa at 1-855-325-4296. The Crisis Center's crisis line is a 24-hour hotline for anyone who is going through emotional distress or is in suicidal crisis. The Crisis Center is staffed by trained volunteer peer crisis counselors ready to talk to you about whatever you define as a crisis.
- Chat at IowaCrisisChat.org. IowaCrisisChat.org is a program of The Crisis Center of Johnson County, Iowa offering online emotional support and referrals. The Crisis Center is staffed by trained volunteer peer crisis counselors ready to chat with you about whatever you define as a crisis.
- Chat through Lifeline Crisis Chat at SuicidePreventionLifeline.org. If it is outside of IowaCrisisChat.org's hours, you can log in to Lifeline Crisis Chat for online emotional support and referrals.
- Chat through IMAlive.org. IMAlive is staffed by trained volunteer peer crisis counselors ready to talk to you about whatever you define as a crisis.
Other Emergency Services
- Child Abuse: If you are a victim of child abuse or know someone who is being abused, please call the Child Help Line at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453).
- Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Poison control is a free, 24 hour hotline for anyone in need of medical information and resources for poisoning, including alcohol and household cleaners.
Are any of the links above broken? Please email email@example.com and let us know.